Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wednesdays With Joanne: A Balancing Act

Almost holiday time, family time, taking vacation time, shopping time, cooking time, down time, up time (TIME being the operative word), I'm keenly aware of time these days, and how very little any of us have left over at the end of our busy day. Notice, I haven't mentioned writing time as yet, or the balancing act writers are asked to perform on a daily basis.

A big part of writing is about time management, I believe. For my part, I'm involved in a daily, almost schizophrenic balancing act of just how to best use my time. Speaking of best, the best book I've ever read on writing and how to use one's time is called, On Writing by Stephen King. I highly recommend it! Find a time and a place to write, and write. Great advice. Then make time to read other writers. More great advice. Be disciplined, then go for it. Great, great advice. But...

If one is fortunate enough to get published, then, naturally, more time is asked of you for marketing and promotion---time taken away from working on that new book, polishing up a manuscript for submission, looking for an agent, networking with readers and authors, attending conferences, attending writing groups, updating websites for the Internet, or (dare I say it) blogging! Here's where the "balancing act" comes in. Here's where listening to Stephen King's voice comes in. Find a time and place...and just do it! (I'm paraphrasing, of course.)

I'm working on "working on" how best to use my time now that I have two books out, one in release and one soon to be. I'm itching to get to that next book, but find I have an obligation to my first two. I have to do my best to promote and market them. The publisher does their part, but we as writers must also do our part. We must set up booktalks, signings, radio spots, newspaper spots, reviews, secure notable author quotes/blurbs, mail out press releases, mail out extra galleys, place ads where and when we can, etc. And so...

Balancing my time amid the upcoming, busy holiday season becomes even more of a challenge now. Ah well, I've decided to "just do it," albeit in schizophrenic bits. The early morning hours will be devoted to the new book, the mid-morning hours to internet duty, the afternoon hours to outside fun and games (hey, I live in the Colorado mountains...we are obligated to be outside playing in the snow), and the evening hours to figuring out how best to garner that next signing or appearance. Hmmm...that just leaves the midnight hours for holiday baking and watching A Wonderful Life. No worries, I'll just keep the coffee going. Helps me with my "balancing act" you know.

I'd love to hear what you're doing with your time these days! Feel free to post! Key ya!

No comments: