Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesdays With Joanne - "Historically speaking..."

Hi Folks,

Any of you out there like to read and/or write historical romance? If so, GREAT! Phooey to the nay-sayers who try to frighten all of us away by claiming "lack of interest" in the historical genre. This reader/writer has nothing but "interest" in the genre!

Yes, I know erotica sells. Yes, I know chick-lit is all the rage. And yes, yes, yes, I know that Christian/Inspirational romance is selling ... selling ... selling. As far as I'm concerned, I have only one little problem with these reality stats: I don't read erotica, chick-lit, or inspirational romance. I like historicals, always have and always will. That's not to say I don't pick up an occasional bio from the likes of David McCullough, the latest horror thriller from Stephen King, or wait on line for the newest (and alas...the last) Harry Potter. But, it is to say that my favorite books are historical romance. I was raised on Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice and to this day, keep them close.

As I enjoy reading the genre, I also enjoy writing in the genre. I believe all of us who do, need to join together, forming our own Band of Brothers & Sisters, writing what's in our hearts, telling the stories of old, in new ways. Those of us who are traditional romantics, who love a good love story, conjuring images of gallant heroes and worthy heroines, packed with emotion and heartache, impossible conflict and unsatisfied passion, all the while hoping for a happy ending ... we must give voice to our stories through pen and key, never giving up hope ourselves, for a happy ending to the plight of the historical romance.

Together, WE CAN!

Shalom,

Jo(anne)

No comments: