Wednesday, May 21, 2008

HEART 2 HEART ~ The Battle of the Network ... Romance Genres!

Please note my disclaimor: This is whimsy, only.

Because of course, we "who are about to write in the romance genre," never do battle with each other, heh heh. Really, we don't; not personally anyway. We do, however, do battle against other general fiction genres, but that story is perhaps for another day.

I reference the Battle of the Network Romance Genres because there's ever a ranking (at least in my mind) of which genre in the romance world is on top and which at rock-bottom. Ouch! You've probably guessed where I'm going here: I write historical romance which classically is at the bottom, buried beneath mystery, sci-fi, chick-lit, YA, contemporary, erotica, et al. Well, we "who write historical romance" are in full-battle-armor now so watch out ... romance world!

I happen to write historical romance set in America, which tends to fare worse than historicals set elsewhere; Regency Romances being a good example. I happen to write what I write because it's my interest, my passion, my focus ... for now, that is. I've no idea if I'll ever venture into the present, God forbid! I believe very strongly in A Sense of Place in writing, ie, I write historicals set in America because I can visualize my characters functioning in a speceific time, a specific setting.

Let's face it ... no matter the genre, in romance or otherwise, it's all about writing a darn good book. It's my belief that, at the end of the day, that's how to Win the Day!

Love you, mean it,

Jo(Gregg) Sundell
www.joannesundell.com
www.myspace.com/joannesundell

A...MY NAME'S AMELIA, LP 8/08
THE PARLOR HOUSE DAUGHTER, 12/08
MEGGIE'S REMAINS, 7/09

No comments: