Saturday, January 17, 2009

HEART 2 HEART - "The Self-confidence Gene"

`Suppose there's a gene test for self-confidence? In writing, especially?

If so, one could make the argument that BEFORE one pursues a writing career, one might do well to get that gene test for self-confidence. If you have the gene, GREAT ... write on! If you don't have the gene, NOT-SO-GREAT ... but write on if you dare.

With four books to my credit, from Five Star-Gale, I'm not there yet in terms of self-confidence but I'm building up immunity against FEAR in the FACE of MARKETING as I go. With each book I'm realizing that I have to be doing something right to get published in this tough industry; especially in today's "tough" financial market. Despite the fact that I'm fortunate, indeed, to be published with such an accredited publishing house, and despite the fact that I've received national reviews for all of my books in release ... I still hem, haw, and shake in the knees during book talks, signings, and speaking appearances.

I'm remembering Stephen King's sage advice now, in his book, ON WRITING, where he advises us to turn all of our negatives and our rejections ... into positives. Because I was born without the Self-confidence Gene in "all things marketing" I, more than most, need to heed Mr. King's advice. Which I do. Uh, which I try to do.

Most importantly, I tell myself that every day tons of other writers are out there marketing and they can't all be GREAT AT IT! I do feel there's a support group out there, with many in the membership just like me, and needing to turn our fears into motivation and use all of that adrenalin for GOOD ... OUR OWN GOOD! I relax then, knowing I'm not alone.

Sooooo ... I take a deep breath, chin up chest out and all of that sort of thing, and remember that I've indeed achieved a lot, with four books published, and I owe it to myself, my publisher, and my stories to turn my chief negative --- my lack of self-confidence --- into positive motivation and go out there in Marketing Land and grab a bit of that elusive brass ring of self-confidence for myself! There should be plenty to go around on the merry go round of book promotion, right?

Let's all grab that Brass Ring of Confidence together,

Jo(anne) Gregg Sundell

MATCHMAKER, MATCHMAKER
A...MY NAME'S AMELIA
THE PARLOR HOUSE DAUGHTER
MEGGIE'S REMAINS

No comments: