Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wednesdays With Joanne - "What's in a name?"

Evidently quite a lot!

Any of the rest of you out there in "Literary Internet Land" having trouble keeping your name(s) straight? Between our URLs, WWWs, blogspots, links (more like linking logs to me), hyperlinks, yahoo IDs, group yahoo IDs, MySpace page (are you friend or foe?), ever changing e-mail signatures, YouTube (at your own risk), a password here...a password there...not to mention, God forbid, if any of you are using a pseudonym...!

When I turn on my computer first thing in the morning, and attempt to "key in" the right blog and/or yahoo group for comment and/or posting, my head spins more than Linda Blair's in the Exorcist! What's the right ID now? The right password? Where is my file about which file is which, telling me which name I put in where??? That's when I check my chest, and if I don't see three 6's carved there, reassured I'm working for "good" and not "evil," I take a deep breath, another sip of strong coffee, and try to calm myself.

"I can do this. I know I'm 61 and wasn't born in the computer age, but I can do this! I went to college, received a BS in Nursing, cared for countless patients with their lives on the line, married a nice Jewish forensic psychiatrist, gave birth to three children, managed to get two books published. I'm not a total moron, oxy or otherwise! Or, am I...

If I can't even remember my name on most days, or at least the "right name" to enter for the right computer access, it's time to take a breath, take five, smell the roses (I already smell the coffee), gather my wits, sing "I Have Confidence" every morning, pull up my bootstraps, suck it up, soldier on (have I left any cliche out?), and add a little levity to my day. Computer life need only be as complicated as I make it. Code for: don't jump into the deep end of this site or that, unless you're wearing serious safety gear!

You tell me your password, and I'll tell you mine!
Jo(anne)

No comments: