Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wednesdays with Joanne - "Bird by Bird"

Whoops! Just like my last blog entry, it's NOT Wednesday today! Sorry folks. I'd blame it on the spiked eggnog if I weren't Jewish. Hmmm, I'll blame it on too many latkes!!!

This is not a piece about Anne Lamott's signature book on writing, Bird by Bird, but about my step-by-step process in meeting my goals to get things done. I do things little-by-little because if I worried about everything all at once, ie manuscript writing, selling to publishers, marketing, networking, et al ... I'd never get anything done. Never!

I'm happy for each and every small achievement, as over time they do have a way of adding up and building up, bird-by-bird. I'm ever surprised that I finish writing a book, much less sell a book, then actually get myself scheduled for book signings in libraries and bookstores. A marvel, indeed for someone who never dreamed of writing romance until I'd worked in nursing, married, and raised my children. I'm ever grateful for such good fortune. No, I'm not a NYTimes bestseller but I'm happy in my writing shoes.

With three books sold in the Five Star Expressions line, I do (of course) hope to keep Tekno/Five Star interested, and write more for them. In the meanwhile I tend to marketing as best I can, with lots to learn, no question. Step-by-step I try to build on what success I've had with readers, happy over every single person who takes the time to read anything I write. A writer is only as good as the readers who check out or buy their books! Whenever a New User registers for my newletter on my website, I'm over the moon. Very, very nice.

Of late, my bird-by-bird has grown a few unexpected feathers, a pleasant surprise, indeed. Colorado Country Life Magazine selected A...My Name's Amelia as one of their dozen favorite books in their 10th annual book review issue. A piece about me will appear in the next Grand County Relocation Guide, an 80-page resource guide to mountain living. Both the Arapahoe Library District and Weld, have petitioned me to schedule presentations on my books at their libraries in the coming year.

During this wonderful holiday time, I know it's better to give than to receive ... but it is ever so nice to be on the receiving end, is it not! I appreciate the aformentioned overtures re my work.

Thank you to "one and all, and to all a good night!" Hey, in my case I suppose I should say, "and to all a good latke ... or a nice piece of brisket ... a little gelt ... you shoud eat something!"

Shalom,

Jo(anne)
www.joannesundell.com
www.squidoo.com/historicalromancewriter

No comments: