Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesdays with Joanne - "Go East, young man! Go East!"

All right,

I know the pioneer cry was to Go West, but I'm thinking it's time for this pioneer to Go East ... on the historical romance page, that is.

To date I've written books set in the 19th century west and for good reason. I moved west over 35 years ago, to Colorado to be precise. After 5 years in the lowlands, I moved to the highlands, and have been a mountain woman ever since. It's on my outings with my trusted huskies where I refuel to "write another day." No better place for inspiration to write historical romance set in the West, than to walk where the pioneers walked, and trod the same path as the Native Americans, this being their home long before ours.

In thinking about future projects, I've turned east now, to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, where I was born. I'm not leaving my love of All Things 19th Century behind, however. My next book will be set in Civil War, Virginia. I grew up on battlefields, with Lee and Grant charging across my front yard, camping near my favorite swimming hole, and setting up pup tents nearby our traditional family picnic area at Bull Run. Even before I could spell I knew about the battles of Manassas, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Brandy Station and on and on and on. Gettysburg is not alone in its hallowed ground. It's for another day, for me to wax on re my next project. Suffice is to say, I'm ...

GOING EAST!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ONE AND ALL!

Jo(anne)
www.joannesundell.com
www.historicalromancewriter.com

No comments: